Friday, January 13, 2012

MOUNT EVEREST!

Recently I have been very intrigued with this MOUNTAIN. Throughout life we have moments where we are on FIRE and full of passion. Other times, NOT SO MUCH.

I HATE dieting-- which is surprising since I have been on one since... OH FOREVER. I have lost and regained the same 30 pounds over & over again. (and I actually need to loose about 50, but my passion never lasts that long. so whatever.) Anyways, I lose the weight & then my LOVE for eating holiday food at the moment, baking treats with my kiddos, eating at delicious restaurants, etc. etc. kicks in & trumps ANY passion I once had. The pounds creep back on ever so QUICKLY and this vicious cycle starts once again. Why is it that it takes FOREVER to get the weight off & practically overnight it can be back on again?

The passion for HEALTH remains in me, even when I am not being healthy. I read every health diet book and magazine I can get my hands on. It's not like I don't know how this is done. I would love to go back to school to study dietetics someday. It is a topic I never get bored of discussing, reading, or learning about. Why is it that putting the things we know into practice such a difficult task sometimes?

About a month ago I checked out "INTO THIN AIR " from the library. The language became a little intense. At times I have a tendency to curse, as much as I hate to admit it (I'm working on it:) so it has to be extreme for me to be to offended..It was, so I returned it but I was hooked on the story & wanted to know more. I found these
videos. Our family LOVED them. The fact that anyone has made it to the top of this mountain becomes more amazing with each new fact there is to learn about "the top of the world". What does this have to do with dieting you might ask? PASSION & FREAKIN' hard work!!!!!! I could not believe the amount of passion these people had. They were willing to give up everything for the accomplishment of climbing the tallest mountain in the world. 192 people, probably more now, have. SO I am on day 5 of my Everest climb you could say. (30-day method modified to be healthy) The desire/passion to be healthy and practice the things I know has knocked on my doorstep once again, as it does often:) Ya know, the desire that gives me the ability to eat this instead of cheesy Enchiladas.
The study of EVEREST gives me HOPE. Many do not conquer Everest on the 1st try for many reasons. Mark Ingils lost his legs from the knees down. Mark loved the outdoors, so he chose NOT to let the loss of his legs handicap him. He became the first man without legs to climb Everest. THAT'S PASSION. I guess when all is said and done, it boils down to what we want most. To climb Everest, you KNOW you might die. Yet you are willing to take that chance for your passion.

"In 1921, famed Everest explorer George Leigh Mallory wrote to his wife saying, "I can't tell you how it possesses me, and what a prospect it is." In 1924 he perished trying to reach the top. His body was not discovered until 1999."

So here it goes. I am going to start climbing my own Everest for the million & tenth time. This time I plan to reach the top of the dang thing. I do not want to be found years from now in the same place I am today, perishing, per say, from a lack of self discipline to accomplish something I have had a passion for my whole life. Edmund Hillary said it best in two quotes after reaching the summit "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

“You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.”

I am copying this next thought from a quote I read a long time ago but don't remember exactly...
"I guess once the motivation is present, our character comes into play as well. Will our character be strong enough to keep going strong when the desire to continue has past." When my tummy is growling, and the cupcakes with delicious frosting are sitting around from Ashlynn's birthday, when it's still dark & I need to get out of my warm comfy bed to exercise, when it's smores season:) etc. etc., I'm going to say YES!!!!

Wish me luck. Everest here I come;)







1 comment:

  1. You Go Lori! I'm on the same journey you are! so maybe we can help each other! Smile! I love your passion and ambition. I think you are simply the best! Love your blog and all your posts! I miss you! Love ya! Rae

    ReplyDelete