Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thankful To KNOW!!


 As I was looking for a few ideas for Ashlynn's primary talk, I came across a blog. As corney
 as it may sound really touched my heart.  I can't imagine NOT knowing the things I know through being a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.  I can't imagine not knowing that I would someday see my Mom, Grandparents and other loved ones again.  I can't imagine thinking that this life was it.  It is so easy to take for granted  the fact that I know these things because I have ALWAYS known them.  I can't remember a time I did not know them deep in my heart.  To read that others may not even realize many of these truths our church teaches,  well, it was humbling to me.  I am SO thankful for this article and blog today! This is her blog. Her article below is worth reading.


Friday, September 9, 2011


Finding the Family Proclamation on the Passenger Seat by Angela Fallentine







"Several years ago as a single adult, I was living and working in Washington, D.C.  As is customary for all vehicles in that area, I needed to get my car inspected in order to pass the appropriate safety and emissions standards. 


I arrived at a garage one afternoon to find the lineup for inspections about 8 or 9 cars long. It was a beautiful spring day, so I rolled down the windows, turned off the car and pulled out a copy of The Family: A Proclamation to the World, which I kept in my car along with some other church material for times such as these. My stake president had recently counseled each member to commit it to memory, so I thought this free time allowed me the perfect opportunity to do so. 


Eventually, my turn came to get my car inspected. One of the men who did the inspections told me he'd drive my car into the garage and asked me to wait in the adjacent waiting room until it was completed. 


Time ticked on and as I watched other customers come in and out, my heart began to sink thinking that something must be very wrong with my car for it to be taking so long. I was working for a non-profit organization at the time and money was scarce. With each minute that passed, the heavier my heart became.

After what felt like a lifetime, the gentleman came into the waiting room from the garage with the receipt saying that I passed the inspection and to please pay for it at the cashier. 


What a relief! I walked out to where he had parked my car and found him waiting. His eyes were full of intensity when he asked, "Miss, miss, can I please talk to you for a minute?" I responded that it was fine, and then he proceeded to share some words which I will never forget. 


"I want to apologize for taking so long with your car inspection. You see, when I drove your car into the garage, I noticed a document on your passenger seat. I was drawn to it and instead of bringing your car back to you, I sat in your car in the garage reading it over and over again. What is this church? What is this document about the family? Can I have a copy?  It said that it was written by apostles.  Do you mean to tell me that there are apostles and prophets here on the earth, just like in Jesus' time?  Please, please, I need to know." 


I was almost speechless, but gathered my thoughts and began testifying to him that there are indeed prophets and apostles here on this earth, just as in the time of Jesus Christ.  I told him about the Prophet Joseph Smith and the restoration of the gospel, and part of that meant that we have a living prophet and apostles today.  I proceeded to give him everything I had in my car related to the Church, and the conversation ended with a sincere expression of gratitude from this kind and humble man.

As I drove away, tears filled my eyes as I realized that it was not by chance I left a copy of The Family: A Proclamation to the World on my seat that day. 


I have never forgotten that experience, nor the look of eagerness in that man's eyes when asking if there were apostles and prophets on earth today.  It was a powerful lesson on following promptings, sharing the gospel and the reality and power of modern revelation."

1 comment:

  1. I loved this Lori! You always seem to know what is on my mind and post the same things I am going through or thinking. You are awesome!! I hope you don't mind but I passed along this post also.

    ReplyDelete