Thursday, October 19, 2017

Elder Phippen hits his 1 year mark

 On October 26th Elder Riley Phippen will hit his 
one year mark in the Peru Arequipa Mission.

I don't think he had any idea how much he was 
going to love his mission when he left.  I am so happy that
 he is loving every minute of it.

 His e-mails are always very short and sweet, but
 you can feel the strength his testimony in them.

 He and his companions have met many stray pets 
along the road.  They have done what any boy would do...
Given them a name and
 treated them as their own. 
LOL

 When he found out the news about Daxon, he had a little bit of a rough week.  
Still, he was the one telling us I know everything will be okay. He must have been a little more sad than he let on because his Mission President let him go fishing on PDAY in honor of Daxon:).

 Elder Phippen and Elder Farley have been together for 3 transfers now.  They opened this new area.  The 2 of them get along so well and I think they will have a hard time when transfer day comes.
I think they will be lifelong friends.  The family in the background is one they have worked with a lot they have expressed a desire  in being baptized.  However they don't want to get married, so baptism becomes a problem:).

 I have loved watching Elder Phippen's testimony grow and develop over the last year.  The letters he has sent home are full of encouraging words to his siblings and love to his parents.
This year has been crazy busy and has gone by very fast.

He has developed some great friendships.  I met one of his fellow missionary's mom on Facebook.
She clued me in on the plans they have to hunt together one day when they return home and go to college:).

He has had a hard time leaving some of his areas because 
of the love he has for the people he has met.

 He has had baptisms.

 He has eaten MANY new and interesting things.

He has had a companion who made them ALL matching ties:)

 As a mom who LOVES birthdays and holidays, it did my 
heart so good when I looked at these pictures.

 I LOVE how much they LOVED my boy on his birthday!

 I really love the group baptism pictures:).

 SERVICE IS THE BEST!

 It's wonderful how these boys have the biggest 
smiles even when they are cleaning up garbage:).

 It is clear they know how to have a good time.

In some areas of Peru, you lose weight.  The one Ry is in right know, he 
is actually gaining weight.  He said they eat carbs all the time.

I am so thankful for Elder Phippen.  I love him so much!
His example of love and faith has blessed our family in so many ways this year.  I love his radiant smile:).

Elder Uchtdorf said one time,
"As we lose ourselves in the service of others we 
discover our own lives and our own happiness."
I have witnessed this statement to be so true as Riley 
has loved and served the people of Peru over the last year.
I love you Elder Phippen. Congratulations on a FABULOUS first year!






1 comment:

  1. he does look very happy! I am sure it does your heart good getting these pictures of him enjoying his time in Peru.

    ReplyDelete